Writing Successful Bids
Regardless of the size of Contract you are submitting your Bid, Tender or Proposal for there are some fundamental rules to follow to ensure a successful outcome. The biggest issue faced by Bid Teams and Writers is often Lack of Resource. As organisations we know what we need to do win work, what sets us above our competition and how our solution benefits the Clients but due to a lack of resource both time and human this knowledge is often lost in translation as the Bid is put together. Information is sent in from various areas of an organisation without clear structure and when pieced together the flow and sell of the solution is lost.
By following some basic writing tips, teams can maximise their quality scores and ensure the knowledge held by the business ends up reaching the Bid document.
- Spend time planning – ensure the Client Requirements are fully understood and identify clearly how your solution fits those needs.
- Clear Structure and Signposting for Key Points and Marks – Start with Headings and Sub-Headings based around the Evaluation Criteria to ensure your Bid is relevant and will score highly
- Understand your Audience – know your Client, understand their current service delivery, where is the pain for them and then build your solution around that pain.
- Assess the overall document for how well it reads, how easy it is to score against the criteria and if the information presented is easy to digest after the first read through.
- Spend time checking the submission is Compliant – at PQQ stage marks are there to be lost rather than won. By not spending time checking the Compliance of your Bid ‘Pass/Fail’ answers can end your Bid Process before your solution has even had a chance to be appreciated.
- Quite often when we work so closely on a document we become word blind and the obvious mistakes and omissions become lost in the body of text we have created. By allowing time in the Bid Process for thorough checking and assessment prior to submission these faults can be identified and resolved. At Bid & Tender Support we work with a wide variety of Clients to help them work smarter, carrying out effective checks and assessments to maximise the quality score of their submission as well as weeding out errors and non-compliance. By providing an external support service we challenge Bid Teams and Writers as well as supporting smaller organisations without an in-house Team.